The Gold Coast’s future is looking bright with Queensland’s first light rail under construction and the city set to host the Commonwealth Games in 2018.
In May 2012, the Chairman of GoldLinQ John Witheriff and the Editor of the Gold Coast Bulletin Peter Gleeson launched ‘Love Our City’, a positive campaign aimed at supporting businesses impacted by construction, by encouraging a spirit of mateship amongst Gold Coasters.
GoldLinQ has embraced ‘Love Our City’ in order to activate its commitment to supporting local businesses and minimising disruption during the Design and Construction Phase.
What is it?
‘Love Our City’ is a public participation campaign aimed at fostering a sense of community. It is about reaching out and working together to encourage Gold Coasters to rediscover the great businesses that exist across the city.
Doing this will assist local businesses to not only survive construction of the light rail and the current economic downturn, but thrive as the city enters a dynamic new period of prosperity.
In the spirit of ‘Love Our City’, GoldLinQ is:
- Buying and employing local to create jobs and deliver direct economic benefits to the city.
- Maintaining pedestrian access and providing directional and directory signage to help people navigate around the work areas.
- Erecting designed banner mesh in key shopping precincts to screen work areas.
- Partnering with third party organisations to empower retailers to create their own initiatives, including social media platforms.
- Actively promoting impacted businesses internally to GoldLinQ staff and encouraging them to eat, shop and play along the Stage One route. Venues for corporate meetings and functions are also selected from along the corridor.
Be part of the campaign!
Businesses of all sizes are embracing the ‘Love Our City’ campaign and logos have been created for each precinct along the light rail corridor.
To encourage customers to support businesses and to help these businesses promote they are enthusiastic and offering a great service, a range ‘Love Our City’ materials and tools are available.
Please provide your details in the contact box below if you are a business along the light rail corridor and are interested in:
- Receiving stickers, posters and badges to show you are passionate about the Gold Coast and are embracing ‘Love Our City’.
- Adding your business name, contact details and web address to along our corridor on the GoldlinQ website.
- Having your business and any special offers, unique merchandise or sales promoted to all GoldLinQ staff across the project and on the GoldLinQ website in coming months.
There are also many things businesses are doing to embrace the campaign including:
- Partnering with other stores to create incentives and activate events that encourage customers to visit stores in their area.
- Developing customer loyalty or incentive programs to encourage repeat business and the community to shop locally which have been successful in other cities during construction.
- Looking at existing opportunities for networking and promotion including local Alliances or Chambers of Commerce.
- As part of their campaign, the Gold Coast Bulletin has encouraged local businesses and the community to let them know how they are taking up the reins of the campaign by doing something interesting or positive to attract locals or promote the city. Story tips and ideas can be sent to the Gold Coast Bulletin with ‘Love Our City’ in the comments section.
By choosing to shop, eat, play and stay locally we can all enjoy the best of the Gold Coast and help other hard working locals.
- 10 December 2012 15:38